giddyoverya

Giddy Over YA

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” ― C.S. Lewis

Almost Dead (Dead, #1)

Almost Dead (Dead, #1) - Rebecca A. Rogers I was so excited to receive a copy of this book for review. This book has an amazing cover, an interesting title, and the idea for the story was great! I really wanted to love it but it was just okay for me. Most of the story was a bit confusing trying to keep straight who was talking. The two teenage girls in the story--Laney and Flora--are supposed to have totally opposite personalities but the writing was so similar from both points of view that I had to repeatedly go back to the start of the chapter to see who was talking. There was even one instance in chapter 12 where the text says Flora is talking but I think the author meant Sara since Flora wasn't even in the same realm when the conversation took place. I also have a pet peeve about the use of the nonsensical expression "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" which occurred in chapter 14. On the brighter side, the story did seem to pick up for me in the second half and I liked the surprise ending. Would I recommend this to a friend? No...but I think the author has a lot of potential and definitely some great ideas.